Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Experiment in graphic design textures

I was inspired by Path's iPhone app to dabble in textures tonight. Here is the part of the iPhone app that I thought looked very pleasing to the eye:

And after downloading a few of the packs from http://tileabl.es/ and using a technique from Game Artist to colorize the texture, I ended up with this:


The rounded rectangle is intentionally different from Path's. Path's shadows give the impression that the profile picture appears at a layer in between the frontmost beige and the background brown texture. I thought this introduction of three separate planes was unnecessary and chose instead to have my rectangle float above both. While writing I realized I had also created three planes and so made another version with only two.


Overall, I think my attempts look pretty good although the texture I'm using still isn't great. Path's looks more refined, sanded, smooth, polished, solid, slick, and less gritty, noticeable, and intrusive.

No comments:

Post a Comment